Usually, Labor Day weekend is a prime vacation weekend. After the start of a new school year here in South Florida, the long weekend is a welcome respite for many. But 2020 is different. Travel is hampered; masks are required; several of our favorite relaxation spots are closed or limited. Don’t give up, though! Here are some ideas for a fun-filled Labor Day weekend in South Florida...
Let’s start with the basics - at home activities:
You’ve probably already done or considered doing many of these items, but just in case you haven’t - or you needed a little reminder - there are plenty of fun, family-friendly, at-home activities perfect for a long weekend.
1) Puzzles. Everyone loves puzzles. Set up at your dining room table and make it a family event. A big puzzle can last all weekend. Or, if you’re on your own, consider a book of crossword puzzles or Sudoku.
2) Play a musical instrument. There are thousands of YouTube videos out there. Dust off that old flute or guitar. Or order a beginner’s instrument online and teach yourself a song or two.
3) Read a book. A good book will keep you busy turning pages all weekend. Couple it with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee and snuggle in for a relaxing read.
4) Write letters. When was the last time you received a letter in the mail? Surprise a family member with a handwritten letter or reach out to an old friend with the written word.
5) Create. Knit, paint, sculpt or build. You have crafts lying around the house, don’t you? Pick one up and let your inner-artist out. Make something on your own, or a start a larger project with your family.
6) Go on a virtual tour. So many places are offering virtual tours during quarantine. Visit the Sistine Chapel, the Natural History Museum of London, Big Bend National Park or the Cincinnati Zoo. Or visit a theme park, online... Walt Disney World and Legoland both have virtual tours available.
7) Build an obstacle course. Inside or outside. Go wild! Use pillows and furniture to create a crazy maze that you have to crawl through and jump over. Time yourself. Race your family.
8) Start a book. Write a song. Make a movie. Get your creative juices flowing. This is something you can do on your own or with your family. Who knows? Maybe you’ll go viral!
9) Binge watch. Whether it’s Netflix, Hulu or another on-demand service, a long weekend is the perfect time to curl up and binge an entire series.
10) Backyard camping. Sometimes you just have to get out of the house. Set up a tent, string some lights, enjoy some barbecue and roast some marshmallows. Backyard camping gives you a change of scenery without missing the comforts of home.
And if you actually DO want to leave your home, here are some fun South Florida ideas for getting out of the house Labor Day weekend:
1) Drive through zoo. Lion Country Safari sits on nearly 600 acres of natural area in West Palm Beach and is home to nearly 1000 animals. Drive through the four-mile safari and check out lions, giraffe, zebras, rhinos and ostrich.
2) Go fishing. There are unlimited places to cast your rod in South Florida. Whether it’s the Everglades, local beaches, public parks or canals, you can find a peaceful place to park and enjoy a day near the water. Visit takemefishing.org to find a public place near you.
3) Paddleboarding, kayaking or canoeing. No matter where you are in South Florida, you’re somewhere near the water. Spend a day getting some sun and exercise.
4) Take a drive. Go exploring. Cruise down A1A in Fort Lauderdale or Ocean Drive along South Beach. Head west to the Everglades and take in a sunset. Follow some roads you don’t normally travel and discover new places nearby.
5) Airboat tours. Speaking of the Everglades...consider an airboat tour. Speed through the mangroves and count the alligators. Many companies allow private tours, too.
So no matter what you choose to do this Labor Day weekend, stay safe and healthy! If you’re planning a road trip, a local drive or even a drive through a zoo, make sure you’re comfortable. Consider a new Volkswagen Tiguan, Atlas or Atlas Cross Sport. These German engineered SUVs are roomy and comfortable and filled with all the tech to make your drive enjoyable. Visit a dealership near you for local offers. And have a great Labor Day!